Monday, December 26, 2011

Volt Is Learning So Fast #SAGApupVolt

Its actually quite incredible how fast this puppy dog - all of 8 weeks old and weighing in at 5.4kg - grasps instructions. He has been with me for a week and he already understands "no" and "leave it" (you can guess what I am saying a lot), he's fast learning "come" and "sit"! I am keeping him out of the flowerbeds and away from Thelma and Louise's food bowls with just a "no", and he listens! I figured it would be easier to teach him to stay out of the flowerbeds now, than to try and stop him digging up my plants later...


He LOVES being outside! LOVES it!


He sleeps in his crate at night now, and apart from a little complaining for about 5 minutes when we do "kennel in", the last two nights he has slept through from 10pm to 5:30am! That's pretty awesome!
Car travel is going so well! I have to put him into the car 'coz the Navara is too high to "jump in" for puppy, but in just a couple of minutes he is asleep with his nose under the dashboard. He is happiest when I set the air conditioner to blow on our feet as well as into the car.


He had his first trip to a shopping mall on Christmas morning, so the place was really quiet. We strolled around outside whilst my Glugster got some potjiekos ingredients for our lunch. He was really well behaved! He walked next to me and listened when I said "leave it" and "come", and a couple of times he thought his shop window reflection was another puppy!


His routine seems to be one hour of sleeping and about 90 minutes awake.
He loves nothing more than diving into and rolling in wet grass!


We spent Christmas Eve with my family at my parents' house, and on Christmas Day we had the family over to my house. Everyone got strict instructions as to how to handle Volt in terms of no begging or snacking, no ball play, no finger chewing, and so on, and Volt was an absolute pro! There was not one accident in my mother's house! Everyone was very impressed with how well behaved he is and how well he listens, especially since he's so little still.


Thelma and Louise are slowly relaxing around Volt. He is not allowed in their kennel but Thelma isn't snarling nearly as much. Louise is so placid she lets him jump all over her and then runs away!
The cats are more and more chilled. Turk has laid down the law by walking up to a half asleep Volt and smacking him on the nose! Poor puppy got a very hurt look on his face but he now avoids Turk, LOL.

click on the puppy to make a donation to SAGA

Don't forget to check out the Twitter hash-tag #SAGApupVolt to see regular updates on my puppy raising adventure!

5 comments:

Gina said...

Im absolutely loving these posts!
Such a smart puppy dog

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Volt is adorable and yes I agree puppies are incredible.

Emma already knows "Stop" and "Sit"

Gill said...

Can't get over how cute he is and intelligent too! Loving reading all about it :-)

Becky said...

adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! I have gotten so behind with my blog reading so haven't been here in a while. And now I've landed right smack in the middle of puppy-cuteness-heaven :-) Can't wait to read all the previous posts to get up to speed. What a cutie!!!