Monday, January 10, 2011

A Tiny Furbaby

This morning early, I got a call from my son. They started back at work today after a lovely long December holiday, and the sudden and very loud activity on the site scared away what was discovered to be a mommy cat. The knucklehead found a tiny grey and white kitten in the grass and asked me if I would please help him help the baby. I went to fetch the kitten from my son's work, and he had stashed it in a box with some rags.
Anyone who looked into the box got shouted at by a very vocal and very tiny kitten.
I contacted the vets in our area, and Animals In Distress, and none of them could help with taking the kitten off my hands. My last stop was the SPCA. I filled in all the paperwork and I was very heart sore because they said they would have to put the furbaby down as they had no surrogate moms to feed it. I was about to leave and called my other half to tell him what I had ended up, and I burst into tears! There is absolutely no way we could have another cat in our house, but I was so sad to leave it there knowing how things would go! With my hubby's agreement, I then went back into the office, blubbing into a tissue, and asked the SPCA if I could please have the baby back.
Thankfully, they cleaned the ticks out of its ears, guesstimated it at about 3 weeks old and possibly a male.
I took the box with a shouting baby in it and drove to the vet supply store that I usually go to for pet food. I got a package of baby cat milk and a couple of bottles.
Then I took the little furbaby home.
When I got home, I mixed up a bottle of the baby cat formula and once it had cooled I fed it to the baby. I think it knew it wasn't mommy's teat 'coz it growled and mewed whilst it sucked and chewed on the teat, but half an hour or so later it had 20ml of baby formula in its tummy. I set up a makeshift litter box in the bath, where I put the baby's box but I think it may be too young to know what to do with it.
I then gave it some time to get over its hiccups and then I REALLY upset the little fuzzball when I gave it a bath. I have NEVER seen so many fleas on a kitten!!! Magic, Turk, Diva and Minx all got bathed when they arrived because until they came to live with us they had not been indoor cats and had to get rid of the fleas- but this little fuzzball had so many they were climbing up onto its head as I washed its body!
I then towelled it dry before using the hairdryer, which is quick because the baby mustn't get cold- but it did NOT like that!
I then gave it a couple of little blocks of soft meat for kittens to apologise for upsetting it so and left it to sleep.
I phoned my mommy darling to ask if she would put feelers out for a family, and I asked on Twitter if anyone was prepared to adopt this little mite.
Sadly, the one Twitter respondent was in Cape Town, but my mommy darling called me an hour later and said she had someone who desperately wanted to adopt the baby!
I was thrilled! Okay, I was a little disappointed because I couldn't keep the baby, but I was so happy I hadn't battled to find it a home a family!
And its new mommy has promised to keep me up to date with news and photos, and their baby girl already decided its name is "Tom"!
Thank you Mandie!
And here are a couple of pictures- after its bath! I didn't try and wash its face as it was upset enough with me over the bath! Its got a long fur coat, with dark grey and white markings, a white "collar" round its neck and white legs and tummy with a grey tail.
Now you see why I could not resist trying to help it out! And my son was very glad to know it had already found a home!
  

2 comments:

tanyadeville said...

Wow, you really are an angel.
<3

Elaine said...

We must get together sometime and have some cat talk. I had a bout 20 cats one time. We did live on a farm, so made it easy. Two of my mommy cats died just a few weeks after they had babies, one was bitten by a snake and the other one was killed by a dog. I had to raise both litter of kittens, it was over Christmas, I didnt go with my family because I had to feed my babies.
I have so much cat stories that happened on that farm.